Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Post Surgery - Mastectomy - Dr. Dabbs

Went back up to Edmonton early in the morning. I guess I was hopeful that Mom would be stable. There was no point in calling up in advance to see if she would be discharged. Either way I was going up.

Got there to discover Mom severely nauseated and vomitting.
She never reacts well to anaesthesia or pain meds.

We were allowed to go whenever though.
Mom knew she'd stabilize once the Morphine stopped, and the anaesthesia wore off completely.

They gave Mom some gravol and pain meds intravenously one last time but we had to sit for a bit before leaving, so around 16:30 Mom felt stable enough to make our escape. I had to go on a mission to find a wheelchair and I did manage to find one in ER thanks to some very helpfuil staff. We got some air sick bags for the road, we loaded up and I wheeled her as fast and gently as I could down to the car which I had parked in front of the doors. I got Mom into the car and she was sick right away.

I really hate when people need to stare. It`s a hospital. People are sick, why are you staring.

I emptied her dish in the washroom and we got the heck out of there.

On the Anthony Henday to get out of town there was a rather large piece of lumber which ended up popping a hole in the radiator of the car in front of us and he swerved off. I tried to dodge the thing and hit it with what I think was the tire, but I pulled over to make sure everything appeared OK. It was, so I continued on. Mom made it halfway home before she was sick again. It`s a good thing it doesn`t bother me.

Got home around 18:30